Sunday, 8 May 2011

M.E Awareness Week

It has arrived! Today marks the first day of M.E Awareness Week, and so I am using my blog to share as much information about the condition as I can. I have suffered from M.E/CFS (Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic fatigue Syndrome) for 5 years, and so raising awareness is something I am very passionate about.

So, what is M.E? M.E is a neurological illness that causes extreme fatigue that is unrefreshed by sleep, as well as a variety of other debilitating symptoms including muscle pain and weakness, joint pain, headaches, poor memeory and concentration, sore throats, dizziness and nausea. There is no known cause for M.E and no cure, and there are 250,000 people battling the illness in the UK alone.

To raise awareness this week, I will be speaking to my local paper, displaying posters, writing about my experiences with the illness as well as posting videos about the symptoms and the way the illness has effected my life. So keep checking back all this week to see more!

What can you do to help? There are many things! AYME, Action For M.E and Invest in M.E all have brilliant posters you can display, either in your windows or find somewhere such as a library or a doctors surgery that are willing to disply the posters. The posters can be found at these links -

http://www.ayme.org.uk/files/AYMEposter2008.pdf

http://www.afme.org.uk/res/img/resources/Awareness%2005%20poster%201.pdf

http://www.investinme.org/Documents/ME%20Awareness/ME%20Awareness%20Month%202011%20Poster%20BOB.pdf


You can also use the following images wherever you can online, display your awareness ribbon proudly!



You can also go to iTunes or Amazon and download the song "Silently" by Chlay, which will raise money for the M.E Association. It's only 79p and it's a truly beautiful song, and it only takes a few seconds!

So there's much more to come. A very worth "thing worth sharing" this week comes in the form of an M.E Awareness video made by lovely AYME member Daisy, please take 5 minutes to watch it as it speaks volumes.




Thank you!

Until next time, which will be very, very soon I'm sure :)

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment