It is another one of those times in the Harry Potter fandom where there is so much film news coming out, you literally don't know where to start. TV spots emerging, 8 posters released and magazine specials left right and centre, there's so much to talk (squee) about! In an effort to make my blog a bit more personal (inspired by MEAW) I wanted to focus on the magazine article part of that first sentence.
Deathly Hallows has been the first HP film I've really been able to throw myself in to the pre-release hype for. When I first found the online wealth of Potter websites, Half-Blood Prince was being filmed so technically that was my first taste of the excitement and anticipation. I remember waiting and waiting for the HBP trailer, the rumours and the disappointment when they failed to follow through, and the buzz all over the internet when the trailers were released. Of course the HBP build up was also tainted with disappointment when it was announced that the film would be released later that planned. A lot later. This was also the time that the big announcement about Deathly Hallows news broke; the book would be adapted in to two films.
So yes, I had a taste of the excitement, but it was to be halted prematurely when my health took a turn for the worse. How would this affect my ability to follow the film news I hear you say? Well, for a start I was unable to use my laptop, which pretty much cut me off from that world. My laptop screen was too bright, now that light sensitivity had returned to my life with a vengance, and extreme weakness in my wrists meant typing was out. Over the next few months and years I would hear snatches on the radio or the television which was something. Of course during this time, I was also unable to read, which meant I was separated from my rekindled love affair with the Potter books, and so the series drifted from my mind after several attempts at reading had caused me nothing but misery due to my symptoms making the task impossible.
Fast forward to 2010, with improved health and my ability to use my laptop to connect with the world restored then I could once again throw myself in to the media frenzy that surrounded the Potter series. The scanning of news sites resumed, the awaiting of trailers, posters, pictures, anything that would be released in the build up to the second to last film in the series.
On 15th July the pre-film buzz will officially be over, when the final film is release and the series reaches its end. But that doesn't mean that it will be forgotten, for many the days which are spent hitting refresh on web pages til the latest snippet of news appears before them, will be the best days of their life, no I'm not kidding! And tonight marks the journey coming full circle, with the showing of an exclusive clip at tonight's MTV Movie Awards. This time last year, the fandom received it's first glimpse at Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. So tonight, with a little over a month until the release of the final film, we get that same feeling of excitement for one of the last times. Enjoy it! I certainly will.
And a slightly late edition to the post as my "thing worth sharing" wasn't released when I posted, the MTV Movie Awards clip can be found at this link!
And a slightly late edition to the post as my "thing worth sharing" wasn't released when I posted, the MTV Movie Awards clip can be found at this link!
No comments:
Post a Comment