When I first heard that UK cinemas were doing midnight showings of Deathly Hallows Part 2, I knew I had to be there. So, despite the fact I had already booked tickets for a showing later on in the day, I braved it and booked the midnight tickets, after managing to convince my mum to come with me!
The day beforehand was spent resting. I spent the whole day in bed, had a snooze in the afternoon and tried to conserve all the energy I could. I started getting ready around 8/9 o'clock when I couldn't contain my excitement anymore and became restless. I changed outfits, checked and double checked I had both my 3D glasses and my regular ones. I went downstairs around half past 10, to wait for the taxi we had booked for 11 o'clock. I sat in my living room, my Hufflepuff scarf around my neck, a home-made Hufflepuff crest pinned to my chest, ready for the ride to begin.
The taxi arrived, and ten minutes later I was climbing out of the car outside the cinema. I hadn't seen town at that time of night for many years, and, as you would expect, there were a fair few drunkards about! As I walked down towards the cinema itself, one woman approached me with her finger outstretched and called to her friends "Oh look! She's got a Hogwarts scarf on!"
And I wasn't the only one. On entering the cinema I spied two girls seated in the foyer, one of them in a Gryffindor scarf, the other a fellow Hufflepuff. Whilst walking around the cinema I spotted witches complete with pointed hats and broomsticks, people in robes, people with scarves. I felt at home straight away!
Not long after we'd arrived, the Deathly Hallows part 1 screening that had been taking place kicked out and so the foyer was flooded with even more magical folk. We headed upstairs where they had a cardboard cutout of Harry and Voldemort by which people were taking pictures. I wasn't leaving without a photo to mark the night so I braved my hatred of flash to get a picture.
They let us in at about 11.30, where we took our seats, which were numbered due to the demand! We sat, we waited, and eventually coming up to midnight the trailers kicked off. Best moment of the trailers? The advert for Universal Orlando Resort in Florida. The trailer contained a montage of the parks located there, and as soon as the Wizarding World appeared a huge cheer and round of applause filled the room.
After that, the trailers truly seemed to go on forever. People were getting restless, sighing, waiting. Then, the BBFC screen came up, Voldemort appeared and the last scene from Part 1 unfolded. Then, the moment we'd all been waiting for. The WB logo growing ever closer; the film begins.
I will never forget the midnight showing, nor the atmosphere it provided. When we laughed, we laughed as one, when we cried, we cried as one. The famous lines from the book received cheers and applause, as well as those moments we'd all been waiting to see. The biggest reaction? I'm not one to spoil, but a long awaited romantic embrace stole the show.
It all ends here. Yes, the film is out, there will never be another. But Potter isn't over. The number of people in the cinema that night, two full screens of Potter fans show how alive Potter is today. The magic lives on.
Sarah x
No comments:
Post a Comment