I thought I’d do a little blog post on my writing progress, as it’s a subject I haven’t touched on much since NaNoWriMo! So far I’ve found the editing stage to be quite frustrating, which isn’t helped by the fact I really struggle with opening sentences and paragraphs. I wanted to go through and edit my NaNo novel chapter by chapter, but so far chapter one just isn’t sounding how I’d like it yet. In the mean time I’ve started a few other stories, when bursts of inspiration hit me! These include a story about a teenager with M.E, something I’ve wanted to write about for a long time. Also, I’ve recently started a young adult supernatural story, something I never thought I’d write about, but having branched out into the young adult urban fantasy genre in my reading during the past year or so, I felt inspired to dive in there myself!
I’ll own up, with no shame, to being a huge fan of YA fiction. I honestly think it’s some of the best written fiction out there, from the plot to the humour, plus with my health problems I find the writing style a lot more accessible and comfortable to read. I don’t think an “easy-read” has to be a slight, or an insult on a novel. I’m not a book snob, I’ll read pretty much anything, but I find contemporary and teen fiction a lot easier on my tired brain, and a lot of the time more enjoyable, too. This is probably the reason that when I started writing, I immediately wanted to write for that genre. It’s my comfort zone, and I figured I might as well start writing from a teenager’s point of view whilst I can still remember being one!
Here’s a selection of YA urban fantasy/supernatural novels I’ve read over the past year, along with a plot description and my rating from Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/thatsizgirl). I’d highly recommend them all!
Dreaming of Amelia by Jaclyn Moriarty – My rating: 4*
Amelia and Riley have transferred to Ashbury for their final year of school, and everyone is completely obsessed with them. Glamorous, talented and totally devoted to one another, the two of them drift through school in their own world. But there's more to the couple than meets the eye - they have secrets. And some of them are dangerous to share. As Riley starts to lose his grip on Amelia, the repercussions affect everyone around them.
A spellbinding story about ghosts, secrets, madness, passion, locked doors, femme fatales, and that terrifying moment in the final year of high school when you realise that the future's coming to get you.
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong – My rating: 5*
All Chloe Saunders wants is a life like any normal teenager – the chance to get through school, make friends, and maybe meet a boy. But when she starts seeing ghosts, she knows that life will never be the same again.
Soon the ghosts are everywhere, demanding her attention. When Chloe finally breaks down, she’s admitted to a group home for disturbed kids. At first Lyle House seems okay, but as she gets to know the other patients – charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a 'thing' for fire – Chloe begins to realise that something strange and sinister binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual ‘problem kid’ behaviour.
And they’re about to discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home, either...
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare – My rating: 4*
'It's after dark in New York City, and Clary Fray is seeing things. The best looking guy in the nightclub just stabbed a boy to death - but the victim has vanished into thin air. Her mother has disappeared, and a hideous monster is lurking in her apartment. With her life spiralling into darkness, Clary realizes that she has stumbled into an invisible war between ancient demonic forces and the secretive Shadowhunters - a war in which she has a fateful role to play...
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson – My rating: 5*
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
You can find my full reviews of these books on my Goodreads page (note: I tend to keep my reviews short and sweet, honest and personal!). Currently I'm reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, another YA author whose books I'm discovering a love for! My "thing worth sharing" would simply be The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, go get your hands on a copy :) You won't regret it!
Until next time,
Sarah x




Bah. Now I need to go read some of those books, and I've already haven't got enough time/concentration to do everything I want to do :-P
ReplyDeleteAgree on John Green though- The Fault in our Stars was the first book in a long time I've been able to read in one day, it was that good in holding my attention.