Monday, 13 February 2012

House Highlights

One of my favourite TV shows, House, is to come to an end, as announced by the producers last week. I'm so sad! It really is a TV gem and one of the few American shows I've actually dedicated the time and effort to stick with, not wanting to miss a single episode. It was whilst I was ill that I started watching this show, and I am forever grateful to Channel 5 for putting it on in the middle of the day, where I happened to catch it accidentally whilst flicking through the usual daytime rubbish!

For this blog post I thought I'd list some of my favourite House episodes, those which really stand out for their absolute genius. Spoilers ahoy!

Three Stories - Series One - As House faces the moral dilemma of having to treat his ex-girlfriend's husband, we slowly start to learn more about House himself and the limp which dominates his life and fuels his drug addiction. A great look into the character of House, and an episode you'll want to re-watch immediately.

Euphoria Parts One and Two - Series 2 - If having any old patient facing life threatening, mysterious illnesses each week with a countdown to diagnose them keeping the tension up isn't exciting enough, then throw in one of House's own team falling ill with the mystery illness and you've got yourself one perfect drama! As Foreman battles against the symptoms which are slowly killing him, the rest of House's team must fight to save him, which is made tougher by Cameron and Foreman's ongoing animosity.

No Reason - Series 2 Finale - This episodes starts of as exciting as it gets really, with House getting shot. Over the course of the episode we see House's recovery, as he is forced to lie next to his attacker in a bed in his own hospital. Is all what it seems? Of course not! The twist at the end of this episode is one of the stand out moments for me, as I recall exactly just how shocked I was when I first watched this episode! Not seen it? Stop reading, now. The series ends with House's epiphany of how to potentially rid himself of his leg pain, after a dream sequence to put all other dream sequences to shame.

House's Head and Wilson's Heart - Series 4 Finale - House is involved in a bus crash and has to slowly piece together what happens and fill in the blanks in his memory. Being House, he knows something is amiss and so recovering from a head injury, goes on a mission to find out what really happens. Why did the bus crash, and more importantly, who was he with on the bus? Probably the best ever House episode, as you grab the box of tissues and mourn the loss of a character you never expected you would mourn, or even want to mourn.

Birth Marks - Series 5 - Let me hear you say road trip! Wilson and House head out to House's father's funeral, a task made harder by the fact that the two's relationship is still fraught after events at the end of series 4. This episode shows just what a great relationship these two characters have, even if they don't notice it themselves sometimes!

Both Sides Now - Series 5 Finale -  One of the most defining episodes of House, that will change his future for ever. We've seen him battle drug addiction over the past 5 series, but now everything comes to a head. Will House be able to admit what's wrong and change for the better? Another one of those "I didn't see that coming!" endings, on a par of that in the series 2 finale. Also, the Huddy shipper in you will have you screaming "No!" if you're at all like me.

Help Me - Series 6 Finale - Although those sneaky House writers may have teased the audience at the end of series 5, series 6 is everything you want from the House/Cuddy storyline, as we finally get somewhere with those two! As the two of them attend the disaster scene of a fallen crane, there are lives to be saved, patients with legs to be amputated and Cuddy's engagement to address. A true roller coaster episode.

Those are just some of my House highlights, and reading those has made me realise just how much I'll miss this show when it's gone. Let's hope it goes out with a bang!

Until next time,

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Of the current season 8, the most recent episode (11), "Nobody's Fault", really surprised me. It has a very different tone, it is rather dark and more grown up (something that we have seen in the first episode of that season – a rather stark contrast to the end of season 7). In case you haven't seen it, I will not write any spoilers, only that I did not see the twists coming and they really captivated me. I looked forward seeing more in that direction, so it is sad that the show comes to an end. Then, it might be better to end the show before the shark jumping moment comes – and 8 full seasons isn't bad. That is 7 more than Firefly, a show I fell in love with…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember where I'm up to with season 8 because of the break, I haven't caught the return of the series from last night yet, must get on it! I think series 8 has taken me longer to get into, just because Cameron and Thirteen were some of my favourite characters and I've been weary of their "replacements" as it were. I hope they can do the ending justice, because the earlier seasons were definitely my favourites.

    ReplyDelete