The day has finally arrived! J. K. Rowling has announced she has written a non-Potter, adult novel. This is big news, as you would expect, as it's her first novel outside of the Potter series. As a huge Potter fan, I've always been on the side of the fence that doesn't want a new Potter book, just because I feel that story is done and the ending was satisfying enough, and to go back to it wouldn't accomplish anything. Of course I love the story and the characters, and re-reading Deathly Hallows and getting to the end is just heartbreaking, but the time has come for something new!
I'm an avid reader anyway, and so the prospect if something completely different to the Potter books doesn't scare me. But what am I hoping for/expecting from her mystery new book? With no title or genre yet released, it's speculating time!
1. Genre: I'm pretty much open to anything, but what I'm expecting is along the lines of contemporary fiction or crime fiction. A blog on the Guardian website explores the latter option more thoroughly, and I think a crime novel would be a great way to go. The Potter books contained a lot of mystery and suspense and huge reveals, so I think her writing style would suit the genre perfectly.
2. Main character: Personally I'm hoping for a female perspective for her next novel. Potter proved she could write incredibly strong female characters, and yet we never got to get inside their heads. What better than a lead female character written by JKR who has the whole story to herself?!
3. The hype: So Twitter pretty much blew up yesterday when the news was announced, and that was only the announcement that a book exists. Her website has been replaces with a screen allowing you to sign up for email updates (which I've done, naturally) and she's tweeted about it (a rarity) so what's next? Clues to the title like Potter books? Midnight releases? (I hope so!)
4. Series or standalone: I was talking about this with a friend after the news was announced. Of course Potter was a series and so the end of each book came with an expectation of more, but what about this one? If it ventures into the crime genre then that leaves an opportunity for more novels. I think a standalone book would be interesting, though.
5. Writing style: We've all come to love JKR's style over the course of 7 books, and although the latter Potter books were not strictly children's books, I'm really excited to see how her writing fares when aimed at adults. Will it still feel like JKR?
There's so much more to think about, but those are just my initial ramblings. I'm so excited for this book!
Read more over on HogwartsRadio.com.
Until next time,
Sarah x
No comments:
Post a Comment